Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Catching Up With Adventure Games

I don't know what the fuck I was doing when adventure games were at their peak. I was dicking around and already gaming during the glory days of companies like LucasArts and Sierra On-Line, but for some damned reason I never had the chance. I have fond memories of playing Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on DOS in elementary school, as well as some distinct memories of, er...attempting to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis at a friend's house, but for some reason I just never got into them at the time. I've done some serious thinking, and I think I've reached the conclusion why: I never owned a fucking computer at the time. This is only partially true, I guess. When my family first got a computer, RTS and FPS games were in full force, and obviously being at an impressionable young age such games were quite overbearing. Certainly I do not regret my game choices at the time, for I have some of the fondest memories of playing fantastic games like Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Blood, Blake Stone, etc, but I still feel as if I missed out for not experiencing the immense catalog of games at the pinnacle of the genre.

Obviously I've tried to reconcile with my foolish past of being an unfledged gamer with wanton materialism, primarily thanks to eBay. Consequently, most of my gaming purchases the last few months were solely adventure games, because I'm pissed off and have a shitload of catching up to do. Certainly the most impressive purchase was Snatcher (see my post on that below), but I'm also absolutely ecstatic to finally own The Secret of Monkey Island, as well as three of the sequels that follow. I need to get off my ass and play all the crap I bought (instead of writing), but I sadly haven't had the time; or, at the least the time I want to devote to the games. Currently playing through the first Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and absolutely loving it, as well as LucasArts' Full Throttle. I've been kinda slacking on the latter, but what I have played is superb, although I imagine it will be hard to top Schafer's extraordinary Grim Fandango. I think I'm most excited for The Last Express, mainly because of the exalting review on Hardcoregaming101.com and my love for animation. Sigh...I should be beating Snatcher right now. I would have been done with it if my goddamn cat didn't eat my Sega Genesis AV cord, but thankfully a new one just came in the mail. Shit.

I have been wasting my life with sleep. I should start doing meth.

No comments:

Post a Comment